Monday, March 07, 2005

It's true! I swear!

My tasty side dish at Earl's in Bricktown reminded me of a ridiculous true story from a few years ago. A group of Japanese educators visited central Oklahoma to tour our schools, particularly the vo-techs. They went to the home of one of the local officials and while they were there, they toured the garden. The gardener/homeowner explained "squash," "tomatoes," etc. When she got to "okra," suddenly everything made sense to one of the guests, who proclaimed, "Ah! Okra-homa!" I'm not making it up. Instead of the land of the "red people," I guess we are the home of the red slimy green vegetables. (Who can eat that stuff steamed, anyway? Fried or pickled or hidden in gumbo, thank you very much.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Ceres said...

I think you should rename you blog Okra-rama. Funny story.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised they didn't start dancing.

Mention Oklahoma in Japan and you always get...'Ah, Okrahoma Mixer.'

Oklahoma Mixer? It's what they call 'Square Dancing'.

Okie in Japan

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home